ICD-10-CM replaced ICD-9-CM in the U.S. on October 1st, 2015 (fiscal year 2016). Due to the three-year freeze on routine updates and the one-year delay in switching over, the upcoming fiscal year 2017 edition (effective October 1st, 2016) added 1,973 new codes. Here are some highlights:
- There is a specific code for Zika virus disease (A92.5) – use this instead of A92.8 (other specified mosquito-borne viral fevers).
- Diabetes mellitus coding is now more comprehensive, reflecting the prevalence and impact of this important health problem. There are 240 new codes added for ophthalmologic complications, 15 new codes for gestational diabetes controlled by oral hypoglycemic drugs, and the long awaited code for prediabetes (R73.03).
- Similarly, for hypertension – another common and significant disease, there are new codes to specify hypertensive urgency vs emergency vs crisis.
- You can now code familial hypercholesterolemia specifically to E78.01, differentiating it from E78.00 (pure hypercholesterolemia, unspecified). Previously, there was only E78.0 (pure hypercholesterolemia). Also, now you can use Z83.42 for family history of familial hypercholesterolemia, when previously you would have used Z83.49 (family history of other endocrine, nutritional and metabolic disease).
- There are new codes for the National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale (NIHSS) scores and 20 additional Glasgow Coma Scale scores – look for them in the section for nervous system signs and symptoms.
- Fracture site specificity is significantly expanded for the mandible, skull, face and Salter-Harris/physeal sections.
- There is also a major expansion of device and post-procedural complications – there are new codes for seroma vs hematoma vs hemorrhage. Previously, the same codes were used for hematoma and hemorrhage, and there were none specific to seroma.
In conclusion, the 2017 ICD-10-CM consists of 21 chapters with 71,486 Fully-Specified Codes. The updates have an impact to the NLM SNOMED CT to ICD-10-CM Map as well. Both the code set and the map set are included in the 3M HDD. We have also enhanced the NLM provided mappings. Please contact us if you have questions or if you’d like us to help with implementing terminologies and map sets!